Sunday, March 6, 2011

How do you make a change in your golf game?

So why do people take golf lessons? I stand on the lesson tee day in and day out coaching all types of players (beginner to elite). After my interview process, it is often clear that people are interested in making positive changes in their golf games, but often times don't. Why is that?

Here are some ideas that I got from peak performance coach, Anthony Robbins. When wanting to improve or make a positive change, the following should happen:

(1) The player needs to create leverage for WHY they would make a change. Anthony refers to this as getting disturbed about the current state of the game and telling yourself "No More...Not Another Minute...Not Another Day!" If a golfer comes to me and says "I'll do WHATEVER it takes, I just don't want to continue to play this way," I know the player has leverage and the PAIN of the game is enough motivation to really work hard! However, if a player says, "Ah...the game is ok but perhaps I need to putt a little better," this language is clear that the player does not necessarily want to change.

Once you feel really upset about the current state of your game, then go on to step 2...

(2) What do you want? Do you want to improve your handicap, play better in tournaments or hit longer drives? Once you get clarity for what you want to do, then go to step 3.....

(3) WHY do you want to change? Be specific and write down all the reasons that support this "why." What is going to happen when you improve your game?...how are you going to feel?...How will this affect you and your family?...How is this going to affect the balance of your life? These "reasons" for why you want to change will keep you focused when the times start getting tough. If you don't see immediate results or get in a low point, these reasons will keep you going...

Once you are very specific about WHY you want to change, then go to step 4....

(4) Create a plan for change and take action for its attainment! This is time when you write down everything you can do to get you moving toward the change. Brainstorm! Don't make it too difficult, just highlight 2-5 simple things that will get you going in the right direction. Once you start to build momentum, then you can get more specific and more challenging. Examples can be (4a) attend my pro's supervised practice session (4b) practice my short game an extra 30 minutes each week (4c) keep a journal and take notes on my practice (4d) take a lesson once a month (4e) play my club's par three course once a week which will focus on my short game (4f) I am gonna get a full game assessment so that I understand WHERE my game is today (short game test, body screen, equipment assessment, full swing analysis)...This plan should be flexible enough to make changes if you see that you are not moving toward your goal.

Mr. Robbins calls this a RPM (Results focused, Purpose driven, Massive Action Plan) and this is a wonderful way to start making changes and moving toward the kind of golf that you want to achieve.

Think about the steps, write it down and commit to raising your standards! Thank you for reading this and I hope 2011 is your best year yet on the golf course.

Steven

6 comments:

  1. Great post Steven, there's a lot of crossover between personal development and golfer development. Both involve getting out of your comfort zone, changing habits, and working very hard on specific tasks that are aligned with set goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nick, I really enjoy listening and learning from Anthony Robbins. If one can get past all the "hype" there is some very good information there.

    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get an aha feeling. This issue applies to me. I want to improve my game but I have no strategy. To follow Mr. Robin's advice is probably the best I can do to have more fun on the golf course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Tomas,

    Thanks for the comment. I would first question WHY are you not having fun on the golf course. And then, WHAT would have to change for you to have fun? Once you get really clear what you want, you can figure out the rest.

    If you are stuck about how to practice, check out my post below which talks about "Practice doesn't always equal learning." There is a good example of how you should set up your practice program.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steven,

    More great stuff here - I think the "WHY" to change is the tipping point for many. Without a reason to change, seldom will the change you want to see ever happen.

    Cheers,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. You hit the nail on the head, Matt. I think the WHY creates the "reasons" to keep people going during some of the dips we experience along the way.

    Regards,
    Steven

    ReplyDelete